VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT:National Consultant on HIV and Law – Capacity Development.
The Center For Health, Human Rights and Development is re-advertising the VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT below:
Title: National Consultant on HIV and Law – Capacity Development
Duration: 90 days
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda with travels to Gomba and Mukono districts
The Center for Health, Human Rights and Development (CEHURD) is an indigenous, non-profit, research and advocacy organization which is pioneering the enforcement of human rights and the justiciability of the right to health in Eastern Africa. CEHURD focuses its efforts on critical issues of human rights and health systems in East Africa such as sexual and reproductive health rights, trade and health, and medical ethics which affect the vulnerable and less-advantaged populations such as women, children, orphans, sexual minorities, people living with HIV/AIDS, persons with disabilities, internally-displaced persons, refugee populations and victims of violence, torture, disasters and conflict.
BACKGROUND AND THE CONSULTANCY
CEHURD is implementing a sub-regional HIV/AIDS and adolescent girls and young women Program, with a focus on prevention of new infections. The first Phase of the Program is aimed at improving the quality of, and access to, HIV-related services for adolescent girls and young women in Uganda through the use of Legal Empowerment / Social Accountability+ (LE/SA+) strategies. Subsequent phases will be added, subject to available funding.
CEHURD seeks a National Consultant for HIV and Law, with a strong interest and passion for the Organization’s mission. Under direct supervision of the Executive Director of CEHURD, the National Consultant will perform the following duties and produce the following deliverables at the national level and in the Gomba and Mukono districts in Uganda:
- Establish and train a pool of legal and health professionals to provide regular technical support on capacity development for local Community Based Organizations (CBOs) and paralegals;
- Develop training curricula and modules on: (a) HIV services for adolescent girls and young women and (b) LE/SA+; (c) legal, gender and health frameworks to support HIV service provision and address GBV in two districts for local and national service providers;
- Participate in the training of Partner NGOs on litigating cases related to HIV service delivery for AGYW and in handling of the Legal Aid Fund.
- Deliver regular training of paralegals on: (a) HIV-related adolescent girls and young women services, including on gender-based violence (GBV) protection systems (b) LE/SA+ and (c) legal, health and gender frameworks to support HIV service provision and address GBV;
- Develop a litigators/lawyers guide/handbook.
The Consultant is expected to undertake the work from 8 May 2017 – 30 June 2018.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and Experience
- Graduate degree in law is essential. Post-graduate degree in development, public health, gender, human rights or other related fields is a plus
- Minimum of 5 years of significant relevant professional experience in HIV/AIDS law and policy;
- Significant professional experience delivering capacity development activities, in particular on HIV/AIDS, , public health, gender, and/or human rights issues at the national and local levels.
- Fluent oral and writing skills in English is required;
- Fluent oral and writing skills in Luganda is a plus.
Specific knowledge, skills and competencies
- Experience in addressing and training legal and health professionals on legal and human rights issues facing
- HIV-related adolescent girls and young women;
- Experience in developing curricula and modules on legal, gender, human rights and health issues facing
- HIV-related adolescent girls and young women;
- Experience in developing legal and/or human rights handbooks, manuals or related guidance for litigators and lawyers;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Enthusiastic and proactive attitude in building partnerships with a broad range of stakeholders and driving results, including at the senior level;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to respond timely to queries and provide feedback;
- Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the Organization to achieve its objectives;
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity and commitment to CEHURD’s mandate.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The National Trainer for HIV will be based in Kampala with travel to Gomba and Mukono districts. The selected candidate is expected to start immediately.
For this consultancy, the ideal candidate will be offered a rate of USD150 per day subject to taxes and in accordance with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply sending resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying ‘Application to National Consultant on HIV and Law – Capacity Development’ position in the title of the email.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Consultant assigned to this work.
CEHURD reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Application deadline: April 28, 2017 (23:59hrs Uganda time).
To learn more about CEHURD, please visit our website www.cehurd.org